Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What Is Your Purpose In Life?

Our sinful nature gets the best of us at times. Often times when we are in the flesh, we are so self-centered that we forget about others around us. And at times, we are so focused on ourselves that we totally forget about God as well. During these self-centered times, our motto is: It's all about me!

But it should not be about us at all. In fact, the believers motto should be: It's not about me! He is God and we are not.

So what is your purpose in life? Let's look at how the Westminister Confession addresses this question:

Question: What is the chief end of man?
Answer: Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him for ever.

Read Psalm 86:9--"All nations whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O Lord, And they shall glorify Your name" (Psalm 86:9, NASB95).

Read Isaiah 60:21--"Then all your people will be righteous; They will possess the land forever, The branch of My planting, The work of My hands, That I may be glorified" (Isaiah 60:21, NASB95).

Read Romans 11:36--"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:36, NASB95).

Read 1 Corinthians 6:20--"For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body" (1 Corinthians 6:20, NASB95).

Read 1 Corintians 10:31--"Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31, NASB95).

Read Revelation 4:11--"Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created" (Revelation 4:11, NASB95).

Scripture clearly teaches that the chief end of man is to glory God.

Read Psalm 16:5-11--"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me. I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. I have set the Lord continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely. For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay. You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever" (Psalm 16:5-11, NASB95).

Read Psalm 144:15--"How blessed are the people who are so situated; How blessed are the people whose God is the Lord!" (Psalm 144:15, NASB95)

Read Isaiah 12:2--"Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For the Lord God is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation" (Isaiah 12:2, NASB95).

Read Philippians 4:4--"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4, NASB95)

Read Revelation 21:3-4--"And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away”" (Revelation 21:3-4, NASB95).

Futhermore, Scripture teaches that we are to enjoy Him forever and ever.

So what is your purpose in life? Are you glorify God with your life? Are others going to see that you enjoy Him forever and ever?

"Glorify Your Name"

Lord, God, when I consider the heavens

And the work of Your hand, what is man

That You are mindful of him

Lord God, when I consider the moon and the stars

And the worlds You ordained, who can say

You are mindful of him

You put all things under his feet

And give him rule over Your creation

Almighty God, how majestic is Your name

Every knee will bow and every tongue will praise and

Glorify, glorify Your name

We will glorify, glorify Your name

And together the redeemed, all forgiven will proclaim

We will glorify, glorify Your name

Oh Lord God, when I consider Your blessing

And the gift of Your grace, I stand amazed

Your merciful eyes fall on me

Oh Lord God, You forgave my transgressions

And You restore my soul, white as snow

Lighting the darkness in me

In the shadows of the valley

I will not fear, You are beside me

Almighty God, how majestic is Your name

Every knee will bow and every tongue will praise and

Glorify, glorify Your name

We will glorify, glorify Your name

And together the redeemed, all forgiven will proclaim

We will glorify, glorify Your name

--Wayne Watson

"You're Worthy of My Praise"

I will worship with all of my heart
I will praise You with all of my strength
I will seek You all of my days
And I will follow all of Your ways
I will give You all my worship
I will give You all of my praise
You alone I long to worship
You alone are worthy of my praise
I will bow down and hail You as King
I will serve You, give You everything
I will lift up my eyes to Your throne
I will trust You, I will trust You alone
I will worship, I will bow down
I will give You all my praise
--Big Daddy Weave

No comments: