Saturday, November 11, 2006

Be Thou My Vision

Mediation on Psalm 105:3-4

"Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually" (Psalm 105:3-4, NASB95).
Have you pondered upon God's glory lately? Is your heart seeking after the King of glory? Are you seeking the Lord and his strength? Are you seeking God's face?
Earlier today a friend reminded me about a Irish hymn that I have not heard in a few years. Take a moment to read its lyrics and then ponder upon its words.
"Be Thou My Vision"
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight,
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always;
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven my Treasure Thou art.
High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's son,
Heart of my heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.
Can you honestly sing those words as your words? Can you sing them to the Lord?
Do you desire to be in the presence of God? Brother Lawrence writes, "In order to form a habit of conversing with God continually, and referring all we do to Him, we must first apply to Him with some diligence; but after a little care we should find His love inwardly excite us to it without any difficulty."
Read the words of Jeremiah, "Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. ‘You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart'"(Jeremiah 29:12-13, NASB95).
The prophet Isaiah tells us to "seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near" (Isaiah 55:6, NASB95).
Are you allowing your vision to be shaped by God?
I close this posting with a Puritan prayer. . .
My Dear Lord,
I can but tell thee that thou knowest I long for nothing but thyself,
nothing but holiness, nothing but union with thy will.
Thou hast given me these desires, and thou alone canst give me the thing desired.
My soul longs for communion with thee, for mortification of
indwelling corruption, especially spiritual pride.
How precious it is to have a tender sense and clear apprehension of the mystery of godliness, of true holiness!
What a blessedness to be like thee as much as it is possible for a creature to be like its creator!
Lord, give me more of thy likeness; enlarge my soul to contain fullness of holiness; engage me to live more for thee.
Help me to be less pleased with my spiritual experiences,
and when I feel at ease after sweet communings, teach me it is far too little I know and do.
Blessed Lord, let me climb up near to thee, and love, and long, and plead, and wrestle with thee, and pant for deliverance from the body of sin, for my heart is wandering and lifeless,
and my soul mourns to think it should ever lose sight of its beloved.
Wrap my life in divine love, and keep me ever desiring thee,
always humble and resigned to thy will,
more fixed on thyself, that I may be more fitted for doing and suffering.

No comments: