Sunday, November 05, 2006

Are You Seeking Holiness?

Mediation on 1 Peter 1:14-16
With all the temptations out there in the world, it is at times difficult to strive for holiness. But Christians are to strive for holiness in all things. In fact, we are called to a life of holiness. We are to be holy in our thought life. We are to be holy in our speech. We are to be holy in our business practices.
Read 1 Peter 1:14-16: "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the desires of your former ignorance but as the One who called you is holy, you also are to be holy in your conduct; for it is written, Be holy, because I am holy" (HCSB).
Are you seeking after holiness? Are you holy in all your conduct? What about your thought life? What about your speech?

Listen to the words of the Puritan Richard Baxter, “Remember your ultimate purpose, and when you set yourself to your day’s work or approach any activity in the world, let HOLINESS TO THE LORD be written upon your hearts in all that you do.”
Are you willing to write Baxter's words on your heart each and every morning?

“The pursuit of holiness is a joint venture between God and the Christian. No one can attain any degree of holiness without God working in his life, but just as surely no one will attain it without effort on his own part.”—Jerry Bridges

Are you pursuing after holiness in your life? Have you sought God's help in the matter?
Note the words of Jonathan Edwards, “A true love of God must begin with a delight in his holiness, and not with a delight in any other attribute; for no other attribute is truly lovely without this."
Do you delight in God's holiness? Are able to worship and give praise to God for his holiness? For "the foundation of true holiness and true Christian worship is the doctrine of the gospel, what we are to believe. So when Christian doctrine is neglected, forsaken, or corrupted, true holiness and worship will be also neglected, forsaken, and corrupted," writes John Owen. Do not neglected the holiness of God. Do not forsake it.
Have you cried out the words of the Prophet Isaiah lately? Have you? "Woe is me, for I am ruined, because I am a man of unclean lips and live among a people of unclean lips, [and] because my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of Hosts" (Isaiah 6:5, HCSB).

Have you come to grasps with your sinfulness? Note the words of the theologian J. C. Ryle, “I am convinced that the first step toward attaining a higher standard of holiness is to realize more fully the amazing sinfulness of sin.” Furthermore, “true holiness does not consist merely of believing and feeling, but of doing and bearing, and a practical exhibition of active and passive grace. Our tongues, our tempers, our natural passions and inclinations – our conduct as parents and children, masters and servants, husbands and wives, rulers and subjects – our dress, our employment of time, our behavior in business, our demeanor in sickness and health, in riches and poverty – all, all these are matters which are fully treated by inspired writers.”
Are you willing to seek to be holy as God demands? Do you long after holiness?
"Holiness"
Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me
Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me
So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for
Faithfulness is what I need
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what You want from me
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for
Faithfulness is what I need
Faithfulness, faithfulness is what You want from me
So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord
Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me
Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me
So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord
--Sonicflood

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The call to holiness has been forgotten in most the pulpits and T.V./Radio sermons, books of our day. To see one so young as yourself encouraging Christians to get serious about the things that really matters, CHRIST, is encouraging. Not to mention the fact that in your short years you've learned more than pastors twice your age who preach surfacey at best "sermons", or as I like to call them, entertainers.

C.H. Spurgeon has been quoted saying "Holiness is not the way to Christ, but Christ is the way to holiness!"

Blessings to you and may the Holy Spirit continue to guide you, and may those that read this blog step up to it's admonishings.