Friday, November 10, 2006

Lamp to My Feet

Mediation on Psalm 119:105-112
"Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. I have sworn and I will confirm it, That I will keep Your righteous ordinances. I am exceedingly afflicted; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word. O accept the freewill offerings of my mouth, O Lord, And teach me Your ordinances. My life is continually in my hand, Yet I do not forget Your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me, Yet I have not gone astray from Your precepts. I have inherited Your testimonies forever, For they are the joy of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes Forever, even to the end" (Psalm 119:105-112, NASB95).
How do you view God's Word? Is the Bible a lamp to your feet? Are seeking the Scriptures for wisdom?
Listen to the words of the Puritan pastor Richard Baxter, "it is not the work of the Spirit to tell you the meaning of Scripture, and give you the knowledge of divinity, without your own study and labor, but to bless that study, and to give you knowledge thereby. . .To reject study on pretense o fthe sufficiency of the Spirit, is to reject the Scripture itself."
Are you studying the Scriptures for yourself? Or are you relying on the Spirit solely? Do you think for yourself? Or do you allow others to think for you? "The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for this."--James McCosh
A. W. Tozer writes, "God did not write a book and send it by messenger to be read at a distance by unaided minds. He spoke a Book and lives in His spoken words, constantly speaking His words and causing the power of them to persist across the years." Are you reading the Scriptures from a distance?
As a teenager, one of my favorite choruses was Thy Word.
"Thy Word"
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
When I feel afraid,
And think Ive lost my way.
Still, you're there right beside me.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
I will not forget
Your love for me and yet,
My heart forever is wandering.
Jesus by my guide,
And hold me to your side,
And I will love you to the end.
Nothing will I fear
As long as you are near;
Please be near me to the end.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
And a light unto my path.
You're the light unto my path.
Can you honestly proclaim the words in the chorus? Is God's Word a lamp in your life?

No comments: