Thursday, October 19, 2006

Where Are You?--On the Mountaintop or In the Valley


I must admit that I would rather be in the mountains than almost any where else in the world. It does not make a difference whether I am in the United States or Switzerland. Ever since I was a young child I have loved being around mountains. Perhaps, the reason for this is that some of my earliest memories are with my family and I traveling throughout Europe on vacations since we lived in Germany for awhile.

But as I grow in my relation with Christ, there is one thing that I have learned. I do not grow spiritual while staying on the mountaintop too long. Yes, it is nice to experience that "mountaintop experience." I think all of us at some point or other have experienced that spiritual bliss that I am calling a mountaintop experience. As I am typing this blog, several of those mountaintop experiences are coming to my mind.

But it is while I am walking in the valleys of life that I grow the most personally and spiritually. It is while I am struggling with issues that force me to rely on God and his strength that I grow the most. Recall the Psalmist's words: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me" (Psalm 23:4, NASB95, emphasis added).

Where are you? Are you on the mountaintop? Or are you walking in the valley? What is crucial is that you are growing spiritually. It is important that you are spending time with God daily. Are you in fellowship with him? Are you fellowshipping with other believers?

No comments: